Monday, May 07, 2007

Thoughts on Spidey 3

I left the theater feeling a little disappointed. I wasn't exactly sure why at first... Summer "blockbusters" are a guilty pleasure of mine. I snicker when idiots flock to see films like STEALTH... but there's something about seeing a film like Spiderman - on opening weekend.

I couldn't believe that I was going to throw money at the "machine" that would break every box-office record to date.

I'll do the same in 3 weeks when I catch the last installment of PIRATES but I digress.

The Good

I don't know if I'm alone in saying this... but I get a kick out of seeing Sam Raimi's name associated with one of the largest grossing - motion pictures to ever hit the silver screen. I can't believe the guy who brought us The EVIL DEAD has been given the keys to the Spiderman cineverse.

When I'm not mentally slurping Raimi for taking part in Spidey 3, I sit back in awe and watch special effects - such as the Sandman and wonder what films will be like in 5 years.

If given enough time over the weekend, I can create a Quicktime movie of me wielding a light saber.

It's films like this that set the bar of "movie magic" to a new high...

That said... on to the bad

Let me preface my little rant by saying that I've never read a comic book in my life. I haven't the foggiest idea if this film upsets the devout-comic fan... I do however know that I've seen Comic-Book related movies my entire life.

As far as Spiderman 3 goes... I'm of the opinion that the film covered to much ground for a comic book film.

Here's a short list of things that upset me.

• Was it me or was Spiderman 3 was a little dialogue heavy?

• So let me get this straight.... it was Sandman who killed your Uncle? (anyone reading this blog, ever read the comic? is this a big leap here?)

• So by Spiderman 5... Will Peter be done with his Ph.D. and not be living in shitty studio with a door that doesn't stay shut?

• Was it me or did Peter (dressed in all black) look a lot like Conor Oberst from Bright Eyes?



• If you're going to pay a ridiculous homage to "Saturday Night Fever" - track the fucking song...

• Sammy... I get it. You and Bruce Campbell are friends - enough with finding him bit parts in Spideyverse.
•• Sub Point : This was the comedic interjection that the movie sorely needed after the first 45 minutes. Had Spiderman 3 started with this scene.... I think I would be writing a different review.

• What's with the musical numbers?

• If Parker is going to dawn the black suit and cross the line... then CROSS the line. Chicks he should have boned in Spidey 3. 1.) The receptionist at the Daily Bugle, 2.) the Romanian neighbor - who makes him cookies 3.) Gwen Stacy - she should be burdened with carrying his hate-child.

• Villains for the most part have a purpose for existing... the two-bit photographer who ended up becoming VENOM - upset me to no end. In the grand scheme of things, Spiderman could give a precious fuck-all about him.

I could go on and on... but I'll stop here.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home