Friday, November 17, 2006

Elliot and the Guatamalen Armadillo


A few weeks ago, Elliot lost his last puppy tooth and for some foolish reason, I thought his chewing stage was over. For about 2 solid weeks he struggled with chew toys & chew bones... and it seemed like he began to shy away from chewing things all together.

That blissful wish went up in smoke when Darwinism selected my dog to fully grow his teeth back in place in what has to be record time.

I inspected his gums 3 days ago after he dismantled a pair of of my sisters shoes. I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw that he had a new set of teeth fully set in place where is tiny puppy teeth were in place only two weeks ago.

For all the uncomfortable bites and snaps he gave me as a 12 week old pup... they simply pale in comparison to his keen sense of seeking out one of kind belongings.

Just yesterday, he trotted into my office and ran off in a span of 3 unmonitored minutes with a small keepsake I got from a Guatemalan Art Show I attended in Detroit. Admittedly, I paid very little for the Armadillo, but I got to meet the artist at the showcase and he mentioned to me that of all the things he had for sale, the Armadillo was his favorite too.

I'm sure he said that about every piece he unloaded that evening... but it was a unique piece and it was something that I really liked to look at on my shelf.

My heart simply sank when I caught him in the living room and my Armadillo in his mouth. Of all the items in my room that he had easier access to... I can't believe he sought out my Armadillo.

I completely hold myself accountable. But who would have thought that little dogs go through their own version of the "terrible 2's".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home