Tuesday, August 23, 2005

6 = 24 ?



While out running a few errands after work this evening it occurred to me that I desperately needed 2 things from the supermarket: a.) Mustard, b.) Toilet Paper. The latter of the two was a pressing matter seeing that I was fresh out, so I made it a point to stop at the store before coming home.

Normally, the errand described above would never get a mention in passing conversation, but I ran across something peculiar while out shopping.

Let me preface my report by saying that I'm fascinated by strange things that could ONLY occur in Middle America. Maybe thats a bit harsh... this occurrence could happen anywhere in America.

There's a disturbing need to always have "bigger", "more" or "bulk" these days (food, cars, etc.) and for those whom opt out of these options... well you end up paying a little extra to not be caught dead lugging around 72oz cup from McDonalds. I can't consciously blame consumers... I'd be lying if I said I didn't opt to get a larger size of popcorn at the theatre last week because regular was obnoxiously small for $2.85. (medium was 2x larger for 20 cents more)

Chalk it up to clever marketing. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a 30 pack of beer and thought to myself... "Rollie, you're totally getting fucked on the price for 24... get the 30 pack of PBR". But I digress...

Clever marking came to a screeching halt this afternoon when I ran across a pack of 6 toilet paper rolls that equate 24 REGULAR rolls. I literally had a double take at first because 6=12, 12=24... these are common place. Hell, every once in a great while you find double rolls of 4 and 8 packs.

But, 6 Super Rolls that equate 24 regular ones? When did this "supersize" occur? Is this something that just came out recently? Was I the last one to hear about this very bad joke?

I picked up the package to carefully read its inner promise. Not only are the rolls triple sized... the package comes with a toilet roll EXTENDER so that consumers could easily install the monstrosity at home.

This my friends became the "gots-to-have" item of the week.

Took the package home, took photos to share with friends close enough to humor my bad taste and decided to document on the instillation of the toilet paper roll.

Instillation was a cinch.


Just gave the roll the 'Price Is Right' money wheel spin to confirm proper clearance between it and the wall.

All in all... the toilet paper is as advertised. A true triple roll. But this is surely going to be "Clear Pepsi" product... there's just no way this could catch on.

Or could it?

.mCr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home