Monday, October 30, 2006

Devils Night in San Antonio = Paws on the Patio

It occurred to me early this morning that today will be the first
time in 10 years that I won't be in Detroit for Devils Night... for
those not in the know, Devils Night was an evening reserved for
reckless arson in the city of Detroit. There's a number of ways to
look at it... at the end of the day, fires need to be put out and it
blacked an already bruised eye in Detroit.

My first HallowsEve in Detroit, was back in 1996... this was the 2nd
year of "Angles Night" - where volunteers took to the streets to help
curb fire out breaks. Corny names aside, the program has been very
effective and I hope the City does well tonight.

To celebrate "Devils Night" in San Antonio, I'll be taking my pet to
a "Paws on the Patio" benefit for the local humane society. I don't
really know what to expect... I know that it's the 7th annual, so I
anticipate a strong showing. For 10 dollars, my little Elliot will
get to dine on a 3 course meal... all of that money will going to a
proper cause.

I'll update the the site with photos later this evening.




Update: Happy to report that the "Paws on the Patio" event went incredibly well. My sister and I were very fortunate to get seated next to a group of very calm pets. The turn out (I think) was steady and successful. We arrived minutes before 7 PM and our wait for a table was 5 minutes. I had a fabulous Southwest Chicken Sandwich that I recommend highly to anyone going to the Canyon Cafe... The dogs had a three course meal that consisted of:

• A chicken, veggie & rice appetizer... My dog seemed to enjoy this one the most.
• The main dish was a "poodle noodle" that appeared to be beef/noodles & cheese. Elliot didn't particularly show much interest in it. We joked that our dogs dismissed the dinner because of the carb content.
• For desert, a Peanut Butter & Yogurt in a plastic cup with a doggie chew stick stuck within it.... the dogs didn't seem to care for the smell of this either.

When not assisting my pet in scarfing down a prepared kitchen meal, I spent time walking around the event meeting other folk who brought their pets and spoke with some volunteers of the humane society. The event was very organized and much to my surprise the event had incredibly well behaved and social pets.

A large number of the pets in attendance were larger dogs. This was hella cool because there's nothing like running your full hand into a shaggy back of dog hair.

It was a very different Devils Night but a cool one none the less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home