Saturday, September 22, 2007

the new iPod nano

A few months ago I picked up an iPhone at launch... in hopes of having a device that I could dedicate for all my multimedia/telecommunication needs.

In all fairness... it's a wonderful device. I think that it fails on the iPod front because of some music management & playback quirks, but I won't digg up those bones again, seeing how I already covered that in a previous entry.

Anyhoo... as you may have read. Early adopters of the iPhone got a 100 dollar rebate from Apple last week. On top of that, American Express - gave me (and anyone else who got the iPhone with their Amex) 200 because of the unprecedented price drop.

Seeing how I some "house money" on the table... I decided to go into the Apple Store to pick up a new iPod nano.

The need for a nano was hard to justify at first... I got to thinking however about my favorite iPod - the iPod Mini.

That iPod (at the time) was freakishly small in size and it only had a paltry 4 gigs of HD space.

I can't stress how much I *heart* that iPod. Not only did it have an amazing form factor - but it made me go back and revisit my music library so that I had new things to listen to.


Seeing how the iPod nano is smaller (in form factor) these days - I thought I'd swing by the Apple store to see what they were like in person.

Some quick thoughts :

• I can't stress how slim & small it is in person. the commercials seem to add some dimensional size and weight that truly isn't there.
• The screen is insanely bright and crisp
• The device is very snappy and responsive
• They designed the iPhone jack so that it hugs your headhone input in a cobra-clutch submission move. I could easily go out jogging and not have to worry about having it fly off by accident.
• The improvements to the menu are eye candy for the most part... but fuck if it ain't perdy.

I've had the devoice for a week now... all in all - I'm very happy with it. I have about 6 gigs of music. It's so nice to slip it into a shirt or pant pocket before I slip out the house for an errand. Unlike my other iPods - which have been a nuisance to have on my person.

This may possibly be my favorite iPod I've ever owned.

Previous iPods : iPod (gen 2), iPod (gen 3), iPod mini, iPod (gen 5), and iPhone

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home