Friday, January 04, 2008

The 2008 Dodege Charger (a.k.a. the car rental I'm stuck with)

Shortly after taking my car into a local collision shop for repairs... I had my sister pick me up and drive me over to an Enterprise Rental Car office she's working at.

One of the perks of having a family member work at Enterprise is getting a decent rate on a car rental which works out really well for me seeing how I only get a 25 dollar per diem.

Knowing that I would have to saddle into a car rental of some kind until I get Margot back - I hoped to slip into an interesting vehicle that I would consider for a future acquisition.

That bubble of interest came to a screeching halt after I was presented with my options.

• Dodge Charger
• Jeep Patriot
• Chevy Avero (i think it was called the Avero)

I asked my sister to set me up with something that had an Auxiliary input jack so that I could listen to my iPod.


The Charger met that criteria and whose kidding who... The Charger is totally the Green Hornet car.

Below are my thoughts on the Charger : I'll split it up into two parts - the Good and the Bad.

The Good

I'm not sure what the design team had in mind when they got around to molding the Charger but the car has an obvious "muscle car" - regressive - look to it.

If I didn't know better... I bet they surveyed 500 police officers and asked them what would their ideal patrol car would look like.

So without beating this topic to death... the car feels freakishly familiar when you get near it. It feels like I'm slipping into a hotweel car I owned as a kid. And that just about wraps up all the good parts.

Well... the car came equipped with an axillary input jack... but it's not very uncommon these days - given the popularity of the iPod and other MP3 players

The Bad

Despite having an aggressive exterior... the car feels freakishly underpowered. The car has far more pep than my Honda Civic, but you can't shake the feeling that there isn't enough ponies under the hood for the over stretched frame.


The car interior is uninspiring and cold to the touch. I haven't fired it up at night so perhaps the instrumentation panel looks better in the dark... I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that it going to suck wang in the dark too.

*Noises* - If there's one thing thats going to force me to return this car rental this weekend for something else - its going to be the freakish noises that emit from the steering column.


It sounds like a cassette is getting eating up at all times.

The car has a little under 8000 miles on it so I'm at a total loss as to why any noises are already coming out of it.



In summation... the Dodge Charger isn't for me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home