Tuesday, May 30, 2006

A Hundred Miles Off

I've been a fan of the Walkmen for just about as long as they've been recording music together as members of the Walkmen… In 2001, my friend Heather K sent me their EP and I instantly fell in love with their song structures and sounds.

When pressed to describe the Walkmen… I've said that they're like crawling in bed with a familiar lover.

I caught the Walkmen live the following year with 18 or so people in venue called the Magic Stick in downtown Detroit… It was possibly one of the greatest shows I ever caught while living in the Motor City.

A few weeks after the show I interviewed the lead singer Hamilton Leithauser in hopes of better understanding my then musical act - obsession.

Delighted was I when I got my hand on their latest effort "A Hundred Miles Off" last week before I drove up to San Antonio for the Memorial Day weekend. The album, much like their last two… had their sig-nature sound and recorded feel.

I was hoping for an effort that had richer sounds and better mixing to juxtapose the previous two efforts.

"A Hundred Miles Off" has another interesting trait… Hamilton showcasing a Dylanesque approach to a few of the new tunes… specifically the tracks "Louisiana", Good for you's is Good for me", and "Lost in Boston".

All in all, I recommend this album to anyone whose picked up a Walkmen album in the past or for anyone interested in a Wall of Lo-Fi fuzz….

Download/Listen to:Louisiana

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home