Wednesday, May 31, 2006

You in Reverse

Picked up the latest Doug Martsch/Built to Spill guitar opus "You In Reverse" last week… Finally got around to giving it a proper listen this morning while getting some work accomplished @ the Office.

The album is a true break from any of their recent releases. The album weighs in at 10 tracks with an average of 6 un-radio friendly minutes per song.

I secretly admire their guts to turn this into Warner and have them release it. They're likely a band that the label keeps around for indie-cred anyways…

For years… people have recognized Doug Martsch as an indie Clapton with guitar chops that are likely second to none in the indie scene.

You know what? I think I just realized why I like & dislike this album so much.

I've just listened to this album from start to finish and I totally get that his Strato-caster abilities are than thou… but what I'd really like to do is take Doug aside and say "

Doug. I get it. You can play a guitar way better than I can. Enough already with your bendy guitar chords and layered guitar swirling layers".

Notably it doesn't feature the production touch of Phil Ek on the albums liner notes… the album was instead pro-duced by Doug Martsch and Steve Lobdell(at his Audible Alchemy studio in Portland Oregon).

Not that it really matters much at this point. Built to Spill is very much an acquired taste and I may be one of the few who found them interesting 10 years ago relevant today.

Quick side Built to Spill story:

On September 10th, 2001 - I caught Built to Spill after I made an arrangement with a friend if she would buy tickets at the door I would let her have my extra ticket for the Jimmy Eat World show I had for the following night @ St. Andrews Hall.

Went to the show. Met Dough for a brief second before he hit the stage. Built To Spill completely rocked everyone's ass that night… highlighting of the evening was an amazing 10 minute version of FREEBIRD.

I recall taking my camera to the show… taking the film to get developed afterwards at a drugstore across my apartment… waking up the next day and having life as I knew it, turned upside down by the events that took place on 9/11.

2 weeks after the show… I got a call from the drugstore to pick up my film. As luck would have it… all the photos were blurred and there wasn't a single one worth sal-vaging. (I'll go home to see if I can find one and scan if at lunch found them along with a box of other goodies I need to scan and archive)



It was as if the photos were of a different time… to this day that show is possibly the most memorable of all the shows given the circumstances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home