Wednesday, May 31, 2006

More stuff in my listening bag…

Been on a bit of a roll here with music reviews… the last of my latest music purchases is the new Raconteurs album "Broken Boy Soilders".

Admittedly I had very high hopes for the new Raconteur album when I heard that the lineup would include - Jack White (of the White Stripes), Brendon Benson (incredible singer/songwriter, Lapalco is a must own record) Patrick Keeler & Jack Lawrence (of the Greenhorns) rounding things out on skins and bass.

It was no secret that Jack White had incredible fondness for Brendon Benson and vice versa so I wasn't too surprised that the two would collaborate on a musical project of some kind. I was however taken aback when the two were paring up with the garage stomping members of the Greenhorns to record an album as the "Raconteurs".

Are the Raconteurs the next step for Jack White & Brendon Benson?

After listening to their debut effort "Broken Boy Soldiers" I have to sit back and hope otherwise…

For better or worse the album comes across as an indulgence for both Jack and Brendon to hear one other on a recording.

Musically… they don't stray far away from 60's/70's masterbratory noodlings. That said… I dig a Zeppelin inspired tracks at the age of 28 so I wouldn't fault anyone for digging this stuff.

All in all… the album is very rooted and doesn't offer the avenue I hoped Jack White would take to explore in a life after the White Stripes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home