Thursday, June 15, 2006

Sports

Baseball: We may only be 65 or so games into the 2006 season, but my New York Mets are on a 8 game winning streak, with a commanding 9.5 game lead over the Phillies (whom we swept in Philly today) and more importantly a 12.5 game lead over the defending AL EAST champs (14 consecutive years), Atlanta Braves.

I think it’s about time to seriously consider this Mets team a serious World Series contender!

I’d feel better if we could snag one more arm before the trading deadline… but it may be hard to swing with a lot of teams opting to not make any deals with us…

Stanley Cup: Almost missed the dramatic win by the Oilers last night after spending 5 mintues trying to find OLN on my cable box… once I found OLN, I remembered that they were on NBC. Tuned in as the 17:00 mark passed in the 1st Overtime. Little did I know that I would only watch a few more seconds before Fernando Pisani got one in, top shelf. Go Oilers.
World Cup: World Cup fever hit the newsroom this week… much to my surprise people sneak peeks at games regardless of whom is playing. I've caught a few games during lunchtime, but I've pretty much stayed away from the tourney unless Argentina, Mexico or the USA is playing.

Both Mexico and my beloved Argentina are doing well at the moment. Mexico's head coach, Ricardo Lavolpe, was highlighted on Pardon the Interruption yesterday for his awkward coaching attire (sports coat, tie & jeans) and his chain smoking on the sidelines.

If all goes well… Argentina will advance from the first group tomorrow with a win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home