Monday, June 05, 2006

Resaca City Rollie @ the Movies

Spent a considerable amount of my time over the weekend watching movies @ the Theater and on DVD… below are some of my thoughts on the movies I sat down to watch.

X-Men III: The Final Stand
I very little about comics & comic book heroes… but I find myself returning to the silver screen every time Marvel or DC Comics churns out another comic book movie. In recent years… I've really enjoyed the Spiderman movies and the latest Batman offering. I wasn't too thrilled with the Fantastic 4, but I dug the 2nd X Men more than the first…

I was going to skip the X Men movie all together because I didn't know anyone interested in the movie who hadn't seen it opening weekend. Thankfully my good friend El Diablo Donald Delulxxx hadn't seen it yet… so we made a drunken promise on Friday night to catch it the following day.

The film starts out like the last X-Men movies… in a unclear local and a unclear time… All I know is that it takes place in a very implausible present tense.

The movie (the third X-Men installment) did a few things that took me by surprise… they killed off some major characters, perhaps signaling the end of the franchise… yet they propped the movie for yet another sequel.

Leaving the theater… I felt really glad that I didn't pay more than $5.50 to watch it. When asked what I thought about the film by Donald, I felt like I really had to comment on my annoyance with the unapologetic product placements throughout the movie.

I don't know why they stood out so much… I think it was the poor dialogue.

All in all I give it a : B-

The Breakup
Prior to leaving for the X-Men movie… my sister asked what I was going to watch and rolled her eyes when I said I was going to spend some money on a comic book movie. In return… I asked if she caught the "the Breakup" yet, and she replied with a "No, but I'd like to"…

Offered to check it out with her Saturday night if interested and she took me up on it.

I got back from Brownsville around 6:00PM and I was really dreading the idea of spending 4 to 5 of my Saturday hours in a Movieplex. My sister was pretty amped up to check it out… so I didn't put up much of a fuss before we headed out.

I knew absolutely nothing about the Breakup, outside of what the trailer falsely promotes as a hysterical comedy. I'm a big Vince Vaughn fan… so I can pretty much sit through just about anything he's in… but I gotta tell you. This film really tested my patience.

Halfway through the movie… I felt like standing up and leaving the theater. I can't believe that I fed the movie any money to support its #1 Box Office Weekend take in.

I'm going to put the over under on 8 million for next week and I'm going to take the under once word gets around that this is possibly one of the worst summer movies in recent memory.

Grade: F

The God that wasn't there
After taking care of some outdoor chores on Sunday morning… I sat back after my afternoon shower and threw in the documentary "the God that wasn't there". I forget why I put this movie in my Netflix que… but recall running across a banner ad for it at the Talking Points Memo blog. Anyhoo… I get a inexplicable thrill when I get to engage in any "there is no god" dialogue so I threw in the movie in hopes of picking up a nugget of secular ammo.

Sadly… the documentary really let me down. I agreed wholeheartedly with everything the narrator/director was saying/showcasing… but it felt like it came up short.

In the end… it was apologetic enough to not offend someone of faith to leave the room… but at the same time it didn't do enough for me (of not faith) to keep looking at the clock to see how much time was left.

Grade: C

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
If it wasn't for the Breakup… I would have spent my entire morning flaming the CGI bore "the Advent Children".

I really have no one to blame… but myself for even renting this train wreck.

For some strange reason… I convinced myself that the "Advent Children" was an animated movie for the epic video game "Final Fantasy VII.

I can't stress how much I absolutely loved FFVII. It's quite possibly the best RPG I've ever played in my life and easily one of the top 3 games I've ever owned. It took me a little over 56 hours to complete and I recall one lost college weekend where I grazed on a 2 liter of Rocking Rye and 13 consecutive hours of game play in hopes of growing Golden Chocobos.

The game was so incredibly rewarding to play… that there isn't a moment every month that I don't get the crazy idea to possibly seek out a copy of FFVI to rock it again.

The film takes the stars of FFVII and sets them in Midgar 2 years after the conclusion of the game. This is where I pretty much checked out. As much as I love FFVII. I couldn't give a flying rat's ass about what happened to the characters of the game 2 years after…

I sat through the first 1/3 of the movie… then skipped to the end so that I could see "Cloud" & company take down a half dragon/half robot beast.

Somewhere within the movie… there's a strange disease affecting a lot of people (including Cloud) because of MOTHeR. I totally tuned out… and could care less if Cloud died of it.

No recommendation from me to rent this whatsoever : D-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home