Monday, February 12, 2007

Headcold - 2007

Been under the weather for the last 4 days... what started out as a nagging cough, turned into a cloudy head then a full blown headcold.

It's late Monday nite and it still feels like I don't have a complete handle of my top half. I've slept countless hours in the past 3 days and I still feel drained.

Sickness aside... I have very little to report on. I missed the Police performance last night at the grammy's. I caught it on YouTube this morning... I felt incredibly unmoved by the performance. It was good to see Stewart Copeland behind the skins tho'. He's possibly the greatest pop-rock drummer of all time.

Got around to watching some movies while saddled on the couch...

I finally saw - Thank You for Smoking.

In short, the film is an unapologetic comedy. Dark and rewarding on many levels... I'm not a smoker, but I've been around smokers my entire life. My mom for some reason is going to some great lengths to hide her smoking habit. I don't know how pronounced it is... I know that she goes outside at various points of the day and is usually outside for the duration of a good smoke.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to approach her about it?

I have my fair share of bad habits, so its best to not throw stones in glass houses.


Another movie / documentary I saw was - This Film Is not Yet rated.

A documentary about the Motion Picture Association rating system... it's an interesting documentary, I recommend it to anyone who loves cinema. Some of the movies discussed were "the Cooler", "So I'm a Cheerleader" and "Boys Don't Cry"... all movies I saw in theaters with a R rating.

What I didn't know was... that all these movies were given NC-17 ratings... The directors had to edit their films to secure an R rating.

Directors go to some great lengths to get films score an R or PG-13 rating.

There's general guidelines... to many F-bombs in a film will get you an R - for example. The line however blurs greatly when sexuality (women in pleasure, homosexuality, male nudity, etc.) is introduced in pictures.

The documentary explores violence in American Cinema. There's an inexplicable leniency when it comes to violence.... there's also some explicable leniency for pictures made by large studios in Hollywood.

I can't recall the last time a movie rating mattered in any way. It worries me greatly that censorship of any kind is taking place... at the same time however, I think the way people enjoy movies is about to change greatly.

Don't get me wrong. There's always going to be a need to see films in Theater. The communal experience is amazing. I have a 65" 1080p set in my living room tho'... so I can do without the hassle of people's cell phones going off also.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home