Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Radical NY!

Over the weekend... I drove out to Austin, TX to check out the art exhibition "Revolt NY!". A collection of Art from the New York City - Art Scene, circa 1974 - 1984.

It was a little weird driving out to Austin by myself... I can't recall the last time I dragged myself out of the house to immerse myself in something I truly enjoy.

But it was possibly the most rewarding afternoon I've had in recent memory.

The exhibition was AMAZING.

I was able to enjoy all the pieces at my own pace... While its always cool to share you knowledge of a subject with a friend or a loved one... there's nothing like standing across a poster circa 1976 and just appreciate how amazing a billing was without having to explain to someone the importance of Television, the Talking Heads playing with each other on a random nite.

Concert Posters aside... my favorite pieces at the exhibition came from Keith Haring and Jean-Michel Basquiat.

I stood 3 ft. from a Basquiat chalk painting and I couldn't hold back actual tears.

Another highlight of the show was a showing of "Blank Generation"... a documentary that featured live footage of Patti Smith, Blondie, Television, the Ramones, Talking Heads, the Dolls, Richard Hell and the Voidoids and many others...

The documentary is available on DVD and I plan on renting it from Netflix in the near future...

I don't know if the art exhibition is going to be displayed anywhere else this year, but if you get a chance to check it out - please do.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home