Tuesday, March 11, 2008

The Electric Fetus : Record Store Review

Forgot to mention this in my previous post... but the reason I drove into Minneapolis yesterday was to visit a record store that was voted as the best record store in the Twin Cities for 2007.

The record store I checked out today goes by the name of the Electric Fetus on the corner of 4th St. and Franklin Ave.

The store is surprisingly big and they carry a number of things I didn't expect to see there. Example : Clothes, glass blown one hitters, books, jewelry, and nicknacks.

Before I get into some of the music I purchased last night... I want to quickly show off some killer air fresheners I picked up. A number of months ago my sister got me a air freshener that said something to the affect of "I love cops" and it smelled of doughnuts. Since then, I've been picking up strange air fresheners when ever I run across them. I think I'm currently hanging a Nome taking a shit into a log... I'll make sure to take a photo of that before I take it down.

Anyhoo - the two I picked up tonight are seen in this picture. Pretty fierce huh?


Music

OK... so here's the skinny on The Electric Fetus. I've only been to 2 music stores so far, but this one is far better than Cheapo Records. The selection is pretty big and the staff is very knowledgeable. The store would possibly benefit from not having to sell things like - books, one hitters, jewelry and nicknacks - but they all became forgivable offenses after scoring some things I've been meaning to get on CD for some time.

Here are some of my purchases.

• A Place To Bury Strangers - S/T
• Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha
• Nada Surf - Lucky
• Nada Surf - the Proximity Effect (replacing a cassette I used to listen to a lot when I was in college)
• Beach House - Devotion

Along with the purchase I got a small bag with a number of CD/EP stuffers... the one that intrigues me the most is a Yep Roc Records music sampler.

All in all, the record store is pretty dope. I recommend it highly and unless I get a recommendation to check out another record shop - it may be the best place I'll get to visit while here.

.twin city rollie.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home