Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Art Brut

While securing several cd's in anticipation of Katheryn's birthday (March 29th), I splurged a bit on me'self and ordered an import copy of Art Brut'shype-heavy, debut effort "Bang Bang Rock & Roll"...

As luck would have it, 2 days after receiving the album in the mail, Pitchforkmedia has announced that they've agreed to have their album released stateside and those interested can wait a month or so and not vest 20+ dollars on said album.


With that suggestion out of the way... The Art Brut album is an interesting spin... I've avoided a lot of the reviews for the album, fearing that it would shape a sound in my head before my initial listen. The album reminds me a bit of Wire, the Stranglers, the Libertines and nuck-nuck delivery of Weezer. While that's great company to be in... I'm not sure where the album sits with me. There's moments on it that I know are really admirable.... It's a punk record that delivers on the promise of the first cut of the album... "we've formed a band", a quirky song about the band, deciding to form-a-band.

There's a great lyric in the first song that reads something to the effect of..

"we're gonna be the band
that writes the song
that makes Israel and
Palestine get along..."

My recommendation to anyone reading this entry, is to wait for the album to drop stateside.... a must-pick-up if you can score a copy for under 10 bucks. Keep in mind, I'm having a bit of a hard time these days trying to get used to music in my new environment.

In Detroit, I spent the Winters and early spring listening to specific genre's of music that felt a lot like the weather outside. The weather in South Texas has tipped into the 90's a few times this (i hesitate to say the word) Spring, and I don't know if I'm ready for up-beat-music just yet...

I have a strange feeling tho' that this record will get played quite a bit over the Summer tho'.

.RollieinSouthTexas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home