Monday, March 13, 2006

Marshall Grill?

While cropping photos of my grill this morning… I got around to thinking about what I should nickname her… While this practice may seem really strange to people, I go out of my way to nickname my belong-ings. In recent years I've gone out of my way to nickname items (specifically gadgets) after characters or places in Wes Anderson movies.

Some quick examples:

Apple eMate: "Pagoda" (Kumar Pallana's character in The Royal Tenenbaums)
2006 Honda Civic: "Margot" (Gwyneth Paltrow's character also in the Royal Tenenbaums)
My wireless network at home is "375 St. YMCA" (fictional local in Royal T's)

The nicknames aren't all restricted to the Royal T's…

I nicknamed Kathie's new iMac "Belafonte" after the ship in The Life Aquatic
I nicknamed my USB Jumpdrive "MisterLittleJeans" (Kumar Pallana's character in Rushmore)
My printer is nicknamed "Max Fisher" (Jason Schwartzman's character in Rushmore)

Anyhoo… I nickname everything. I nicknamed the acoustic guitar I learned to play on "Patas" ("feet" in Spanish"), I call one of my bowling balls "Grover" after the Muppet because of its blue shell… I could go on and on… but I think you get the point.

While cropping the photos of my grill this morning I thought about cool things I could call her… Nothing quickly came to mind… I thought about crossing out Jacqueline on the back of the grill and painting "DEEP SEARCH" or "DEEP GRILL" on the back as a nod to The Life Aquatic… but it would only feel right if I went to the trouble of painting my new grill school bus yellow.

I then thought about how cool it would be if I could remove the "Char Broil" logo from the front of the grill and replace it with the Marshall amp logo on it… Something about the Marshall script font on the bottom right of my grill seemed appropriate in my head… The biggest problems at hand:



1: Marshall name plates, at least the ones I've touched, are made of white plastic. This will be problematic on a hot grill.

2. I have to secure a logo-plate in an appropriate size so that it's proportional to the size of the grill.



I instantly thought about Badge Maker a company in Canada that makes metal plates for Scoot-ers… but I may have to pay a bit of a premium for the desired work I have in mind.



I approached a co-worker/musician in hopes of finding a metal Marshall nameplate this afternoon… He informed me that Marshall logo plates were made of brass metal circa 1972 and could possibly secure one from a local music shop!

This however leads me to problem number 3.

If I can secure a metal Marshall plate for my grill… I have to figure out a way to put a volume knob on it that goes to 11.


.rCr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home