Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Audi's and Billboards

In an effort to keep the blog off my sad, sappy-yappy mood… I thought I'd share some good stuff I experienced today.

My sister, dad, mom & pets took off (to San Antonio) in my 2006 Honda Civic today, in an effort to save on gas and keep miles down on my sisters leased car (Audi A4). The 5 of them are going to scope out a possible location for rent while I stayed back to finish up my last week in the newsroom.

I have an incredible amount of guilt for not being part of the trip… Having some input on where I live the next 12 months would be nice, but the way I see it, I'm really happy about the part of town we're looking to live in.

After seeing 12 properties with my sister on Saturday, I think we have a pretty good idea where our tastes are… I should be getting a call from her at some point this morning with an update on what we'll end up with. Just got a phone call from my sister. It's down to 2 homes. I'm going to let her make the final decision… just got word that the digital camera I sent up with her has bad batteries so I won't have any photos to share until I step foot into the place.

Anyhoo that leaves me back in South Texas with a strange number of cars to choose from this morning. I had the option to take my fathers 1993 Buick Roadmaster (nicknamed: Noah's Ark) but opted to skip on out on it for a number of reasons…

Despite the many compliments I get when I take the Ark out for a spin, its really uncomfortable for me to drive around town in. I find it interesting that as people get older, they get smaller and the cars they drive get bigger. The electric seat adjustments are currently out or my father's disabled them so that no one can fuck up the current seat settings. This makes for a very uncomfortable drive.

Option 2 was my fathers Mazda Pickup (nicknamed: Mansanita)… I pretty much poo-pooed the idea of taking this out because of the elevated cabin.

Option 3: My 1998 Pontiac Firebird (aka: Snowflake) - I haven't taken Snowflake out for a spin in a few months… but last I heard it's currently uninsured and we run it once a week to keep her active. I'm hold-ing out on using it until I can confirm the insurance status.

Option 4: My sisters 2004 Audi A4. Despite my many passenger/backseat trips in the Audi A4, I haven't had a chance to check out the German gem for myself. Found a spare key in the kitchen and roared out of my neighborhood at an obscene speed to see how its suspension handled on some of the pot-ridden streets around my parent's house. As luck would have it… my sister has a break light out so I'm going to switch the car at lunchtime for Truck I think. Which is a shame because I have some time to kill this afternoon.

Happy to report that the Audi A4 is a fun car to drive. It's the first car that I've ever been in that has ideal seat adjustments for my physical frame. Aside being a big hungry, I'm stacked well together on a 6'3" frame. I tend to shift car seats as far back possible and adjust myself in the cabin for most of my trips. The Audi A4 is the first car I've been in (with the exception of a 72 Nova that had a bench seat) that allowed the seat to go too far back.

I've never extended a seat to the point that my legs felt awkwardly stretched out.

Car-talk aside… I ran across this killer ad campaign that McDonalds is doing in Chicago. It's a billboard Advert for their shitty food, but it uses a sundial!


I doubt I'll see one in person, but if you see one around your parts make sure to stand back and recognize how kick ass it is.

.lovin'it, rollie@theoffice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home