Monday, July 31, 2006

From 8 to 5

Today marks the start of my 2nd week @ AlaMark Technologies... a company within the confines of Alamo Iron Works, in San Antonio Texas...

I won't bore you with my day to day duties here... it's web related (B2B eCommerce), I'm pretty busy and I'll be traveling a lot in the near future.

On to the interesting stuff... my observations thus far.

I have a 10 minute (6 mile) commute to and from work so I get to have lunch at home... this is a doubly good because I can let the dogs out for a mid-day break.

AIW is situated on AT&T Parkway... about a quarter mile from where the San Antonio Spurs play NBA basketball.

The parking lot is rather large... and I have to walk a decent distance from my car to the office. While the walk does me a great bit of good, walking out to the car in extreme elements (hot, cold, rain, etc.) is going to suck vicious wang.

Below is a photo of the place from my spot in the Car lot. I'd take a closer shot but there's very strict rules around this place... Two of the rules that seem to escape me is the insistence of not having cellphones or walkmen/iPods around. The iPod thing I sorta get... I work at a place where steel and iron gets moved around so it's probably a pretty good idea to have your head screwed on strait.


When you're not sweating the no-cellphone policy here you gotta worry about having your badge on ya.

One of the mandates around here is that you have to have your work-badge on at all times. Aside it giving me proper clearance to enter various parts of AIW campus, I use it to check in and out of work. There's a security guard(s) whom ask you to flash it from time to time... I've been told that you can be reprimanded for not having it on your person and fined in the event that you forget it at home or lose the silly thing all together.

I have mine on a Lik Sang lanyard around my neck so that I comply with all the above items.

AlaMark - The company I work for is a Software arm of Alamo Iron Works... We're completely independent from them, but they're very much our parent company. While I don't really get the hierarchy just yet... I know we bill them if they need us to help them in any way.

There's a hand full of people on the AlaMark team. It sorta feels like a skeletal frame work but I don't really know how many hats I'll have to wear just yet.

My desk is in a large room and I share the room with two other AlaMarkers... Both people are very nice and the room rarely produces more than a whisper.

I get to work on a Mac which is hella cool seeing that I don't care for PeeC's. Everyone at AlaMark pretty much does also... I have a PC also on my desk but it serves more as tech-clutter these days.


A lot of the stuff we have at the office is pretty dated... the chairs, the desks, some of the equipment is showing its age. One of my favorite relics is the Scanner we use to bring in images we upload to our eCommerce Biz program. Not only is the scanner old... it's hooked up to a Macintosh Clone.

Not only have I never seen one in person... I never thought I'd actually have to use one regularly. Its running an early flavor of OS 9 if you're at all a Macgeek and you're reading this.

My phone (pictured below) is a from the Regan administration... haven't be able to figure exactly how old it is, but I'm thinking it's got a good 15 years on it. There's no "flash" or "transfer" buttons on it so I have to do a number of tricks to get it to do simple call functions.


Thats pretty much it...

.alamoCityrollie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home