Friday, March 14, 2008

Eclipse Records

One of the most elusive record stores in town was one called "Eclipse Records" on University Ave.

The store was minutes away from the place I was visiting but the place keeps hokey hours like 2pm to 11:00pm. So I never got to visit the place during my lunch breaks and I never wanted to put up with traffic after the work day to visit... so I sorta forced myself to check it out after work on Thursday.

I can't stress how glad I was to do that.

The first thing You'll notice when you walk in is that the store, the space I mean - is freakishly big. The store plans on making the back part of the building a proper staging area for in store performances - but they're in the works of getting all that figured out.

I don't have the skinny on the history of the store. It was open from 1999 to the 2002? It then closed its door and it moved over to its present location. They kept the doors closed for 3 or 4 years tho'... so the new location is about a year and 2 months old.

Truthfully... the music selection is kinda sparse. They're getting music in all the time and there were a number of good albums in the store... they didn't have anything I really wanted tho'.

The store has a number of amazing posters in it tho'. I talked to the store owner about Jay Ryan (Bird Machine) and Aesthetic Apparatus posts that were on the wall. I saw a number of other local show/artist posters also on the walls and I got a quick history lesson about some of the stuff on the walls.

Of all the places I went to, Eclipse felt the best to be in. Maybe it was Replacement posters circa 83 on the wall.. or maybe it was select used CD collection the store owners have agreed to keep on the shelves.

The place is just oozing with promise and I wish nothing but the best for the people down at Eclipse. If you're in the city - be a doll and spend a dollar there. The store is possibly the finest record store I've been to in 2008. Its just a notch behind End of an Ear in Austin TX.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home