Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Cicada Killer WASP - In my GARDEN

Ok... I'm a city boy. I know dick about about the animal kingdom... and I have a very respectful fear for any animal that isn't domesticated.

Was I surprised the other day when I mistook a Cicada Killer WASP for 2 Dragonflies mating in my garden...

Despite having a rather nasty name... The CKA happens to be one of the most harmless bees out there. Their sole purpose is to kill Cicada's and live underground.

Wikipedia informed me that they're a solitary bee... which is cool on several fronts. But having 3" bees at the foot of my doorstep isn't going to work for me.

Haven't been able to find a Insect Area Map to confirm that I have CKA's... I read that they were quite common in the North but couldn't confirm them being in Texas.

There's a number of Cicada's around here so it makes sense for them to be around.

Anyhoo... look for me to wage an all out war with them in the coming days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home